Friday, April 29, 2011

Y is for York

I like York (as in New York).

I went to New York in the spring of 2002 for a conference.  I fell in love with NYC!  I was there 6 months after 9/11, so we visited the site of the World Trade Center.  I still can't even express what it was like to see this in person, even 6 months later.  During this time, they shone 2 beams of light into the sky to represent the 2 towers.

We went up to the top of the Empire State Building one night to see these lights.  Again, no words can express the feeling appropriately.
We also went to other places throughout the city, including the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Battery Park, Little Italy (and went to a great Italian Restaurant!), Times Square, and we even made it to the Today Show (I stood right behind Al Roker on air!).  Oh, yeah, we also saw Rod Stewart in the lobby of our hotel.  Okay, maybe not the most ideal celebrity for a bunch of college students to see, but a celebrity nonetheless!
Unfortunately, this trip was pre-digital camera times, so all of my pictures are in an album, packed away for safe keeping, so I can't share any pictures from my trip.
I want to go back again someday!

2 comments:

  1. I love NYC too. I took my boys there so they could experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great "Y" post!

    I've yet to visit NYC - but it's on my "to do" list. In fact, there may be an opportunity this Fall - I'll see as the time draw near if it's a possibility.

    My friends that have been loved it too!

    Cheers, Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Tell me what ya think!