Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Interview Day!

So, I left this morning at about 8:00 for the 3.5 hour drive to my interview.  The interview wasn't until 1:00, but I wanted to make sure I gave myself plenty of time to deal with construction and backups (there was plenty of construction, but thankfully no backups), so I ended up getting there at 11:30 - just a tad early! ☺
I found a grocery store where I could park and put my make up on (I wanted fresh make up for the interview!), change into my heels, put my suit coat on...and read...boy am I glad I brought my Kindle with me!
Finally, it's time to head to the interview.  I walk in and immediately get a tour of the building and an explanation of the different programs located within this building.  My interview went well (I think!) and long - 1.5 hours long!  I'm not getting my hopes up about it though, because they are holding interviews for 2 whole days, so there's a lot of competition for this one job.  I'm really glad I completely redid my portfolio, because for the first time ever, they actually took the time to look through my portfolio from cover to cover!  Usually they either completely ignore it unless I specifically point something out, or they may flip through a couple of pages and be done.  Not this time.  They all looked at every page, and pointed out to the other members of the interview committee things that they noticed that they really liked.
In the middle of my interview a really loud alarm sounded - which scared the bejeebers out of all of us - to alert us that there was a thunderstorm warning.  Just before the interview ended, the storm hit!  Of course, so now, in my heels (which, by the way, refuse to actually stay on my feet!) I had to make a mad dash through the rain to my car.
Now begins my 3.5 hour drive home.  It rained poured for the first few minutes, but then cleared up for the next little while.  Then, when I got about half way home, the skies just opened up and it POURED!  At one point, it got really windy and started blowing my car (and I drive an SUV, so it's not a light little thing) across the lanes, and I felt like I was being pulled backwards - the more I pushed on the gas pedal, the slower my car was weird, and a bit frightening!  For the next 1.5 hours, my drive was filled with off and on downpours with horrible looking skies.  I talked to my mom for a couple of minutes and found out there was a tornado warning at home!  Luckily, I was behind that, so I didn't have to drive through the tornadoes to get home!
I did see a very pretty double rainbow between downpours, though!
I finally made it home at about 6:00.  It's been a long day, just a tad bit tremendously stressful, and a bit scary.
I think I'm ready for bed!


  1. I am sure your interview went well but I know there is competition....Glad you did not run into a tornado!

  2. Wow, what an experience you had in driving. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I have interviews coming up next week.

  3. Sounds like the interview went well - good for you! Glad you got home safe.

  4. WoW! What a day!

    If you got the job, you'd move closer? Would that be a big upheaval?

    What did they do for 1.5 hours? That's a long time.

    I wish you the best. You may have heard already, but I'm still hoping for you.

  5. Thanks everyone! I haven't heard anything...yet, but I did have another interview this week for another position with another company. Hopefully something comes of these interviews!
    @Theresa, Yes, I would have to move, but I'm fine with that. I don't have a family of my own yet, so it's not a huge deal just to move myself.
    It was a loooong 1.5 hours! They had 25 questions, most of which were multiple part questions. Every time they turned to the next page in their "interview packet", I thought we would be done, but nope, there was a whole new page of questions! I was mentally exhausted by the end of the interview!


Thanks for stopping by. Tell me what ya think!